Amanda - Navarre, Florida

I believe in people who talk to bugs. That is, I believe in people that can find beauty and love in the most unlikely places. This also goes for the people who talk to rats, snakes, bats, or any other creepy crawly you can think of.

People who can see the beauty in little things are the peacemakers of the world. These are the people that are pushing for everyone to get along because, after all, we’re all good people deep down. These people love others for simply being people.

People who talk to bugs are the people that can sit for hours entranced by a bee pollinating a flower. They appreciate this simple little act that the bee itself doesn’t even notice, and they see the simple beauty of not only the flower, not only the bee, but of the act itself, and they congratulate the bee on a job well done. This simple act of appreciation is carried over into their interactions with other people. They see the smallest acts committed by their fellow man as great achievements worthy of praise and gratitude.

People who talk to bugs are usually very young children, which is sad because these are they people that the world needs more of. To these people the world is a simple and yet complex and beautiful place. The answers to what we see as life’s greatest questions are simple to answer. Questions like ‘What is the meaning of life?’ and ‘What is love?’ are simple to answer. When these questions are cleared from the mind, the world can be appreciated for the large wondrous thing that it is. Everything is a source of joy, wonder, and amusement. The world is simply a beautiful adventure playground that is to be explored, but cannot be known in its entirety. And that’s ok.

If more adults were childlike enough to appreciate the nonsense of liking bugs enough for them to be your friend, then the world could let go of its shallow exterior, and finally appreciate the beauty in everything. People wouldn’t care about looks, or petty differences. Everyone new would be a potential friend and playmate, and no one would think that this is weird or out of place. The bigger problems of today: racism, sexism, any kind of disliking or hate of a person just because of something superficial, would be eliminated.

This I believe: That the world would be a better, more innocent place if more people would just learn to like bugs enough to talk to bugs.