I believe in the simplicities of childhood…

Christie - Allendale, Michigan

I finally make it to class five minutes late and I realize that I forgot to do the homework assignment. As I sit through the hour and fifty minute class, I daydream about all the homework assignments that are due and all the bills that need to be paid. Finally the class ends and I rush to the bus stop, luckily catching the first one. Once I get home, I have to cook myself some food and go through my planner and figure out what’s due. Great, I have this paper due tomorrow, another due the next day, online stuff I need to get done for my online class, blogs to write, and reading to be done. Oh, and I have about three bills to pay and grocery shopping to do with little or no money. As I look over everything that needs to be done, I begin to feel overwhelmed, stressed out. I worry about whether or not there is enough time in the day for me to get everything completed and in on time. Ah worries, the daily routine of a college student, not like the daily routine of a child.

I remember childhood when worries didn’t exist. I believe in the simplicities of childhood. Waking up only when your parents thought you had enough sleep, getting breakfast made for you, and maybe going to school if you’re old enough. If not, go outside and play with the neighborhood kids. Play in the mud, get grass stains all over your new clothes, ride your bike, fall off, skin your knee…you’ll cry a little, but you’ll get over it, and jump right back on the bike. As a child we haven’t a care in the world. All we know is to have fun and get hurt. There are no due dates, no bills to pay, no grocery shopping to do, no bosses yelling at us when we make a mistake and no professors criticizing our work. The tragedies in the world don’t exist, much less matter. We don’t understand the problems that our parents face, and as kids we don’t care. Diseases don’t matter to us; we don’t even know what they are. Sex…ah sex…a great thing that can cause the biggest problems. As kids we’re more worried about getting ‘cooties’ from the opposite sex, not STDs or even becoming pregnant. Instead of crying and getting all depressed when a good relationship ends, we fight over friends and complain when so and so stops being one.

The simple ways of life that we experience as a child help make us become adults. We learn to deal with the stress and cope with the tragedies. We learn from our mistakes. We learn that we can have fun, and we learn that we may get hurt.

I believe in playing and getting hurt. I believe in not caring or worrying. I believe in falling off my bike. I believe in grass stains. I believe in ‘cooties’. Most of all, I believe in the simplicities of childhood.