Timothy - Las Vegas, Nevada

In today’s society, attending college is a big deal for someone; when someone has reached college, it sort of represents to that person that they have made it this far and that they must push on. Most parents expect this of their children right out of high school, to attend college the following school year after high school. Well maybe we aren’t growing up in the most efficient way.

Of course, there are many successful students graduating from college that started college right after high school; most people seemed to be glued to this perspective of life. But maybe young students that are coming out of high school need somewhat of a “break” before they continue their academic quest. Maybe they need to learn certain other things about truly living on their own before they experience college.

I believe that it is more important for graduating high school students to get a feel of what it is like to live on their own, and also give them a chance to interact with the real world with college aside. I think that if these students first learn to be more self-sufficient, that they will ultimately have a better drive to accomplish their future goals when they finally attend college.

For instance, I have a friend named Neal who is living back in Las Vegas right now. Neal was part of my graduating class in high school and I shared many experiences with him. Instead of going to college right away like many of his other friends did (including me), he told me he decided he was going to take a year off from schooling and work for his dad. From what I hear from him he is making much more than a steady living working for his dad, and seems to be satisfied with working and hanging out with friends for now. Although he is working a lot right now, he still aspires to going to college in the near future.

I know that many people think that if someone is to start working right out of high school without going to college that it is somewhat of a hard situation to get out of. Some parents say it is because of the gap of time between graduating high school and the point that their son or daughter is currently at; that they would eventually lose interest in the idea of attending college because of how long it has been since they were formally educated in anything. Other parents (or those concerned with the subject) think that their children would grow too deep in a “work” routine in which they would be too overwhelmed with everything else in their life to want to attend college. However, many first year college students feel overwhelmed with college anyways; the only difference is that they are directly influencing their academic record.

I think if students are given the opportunity to live on their own for a while before thinking about what college they are going to attend, that they will have much more room to learn certain things, experience different situations, and make certain mistakes without being pressured by the implied academic burden. This I am beginning to believe.