Spencer - Ames, Iowa
Themes: forgiveness

“We achieve inner health only through forgiveness – the forgiveness not only of others

but also of ourselves” -Joshua Loth Leibman

Often in our lives we find ourselves forgiving or being forgiven. Forgiving is something we

all grow to understand or learn. I believe in the power that forgiveness has and the way it shapes

our lives. From a very young age I learned about forgiveness and tried to understand it.

Experiencing it was not hard for me, because I was often in trouble. I would find myself on the

forgiven side almost always and constantly asking for it like I would ask for candy. I asked more

because my parents told me it was right rather than asking because of peace of mind. Over time

I learned that forgiving is much more profound than being the polite thing to do. Forgiving is the

right thing to do.

I slowly learned this through personal experiences and instances, finding that when I hurt

someone and they forgave me I felt relieved. Though the true test was when I was not forgiven. I

felt terrible for days, until time passed and I had to forget about what happened for my mental

health, so I learned a good way to stop this process is not to do it to other people. I remember

“do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you”. We all are human and

make mistakes every day. Thus, it is better to resolve the matter from all sides. It makes for a

healthier situation for everyone. For I have seen people unaware of forgiveness. They often lead

unhappy and confused lives.

Just the other day I was with a good friend of mine. He was upset after being in a car

accident. The accident did not bother him as much as his parent’s reaction did. They were

very disappointed in him for something that was not even his fault. They based it off past facts of

him having tickets and other accidents. I could tell he felt guilty and just wanted his parents to

say it was all right. Though I do not think they understood him and still hold discontent toward

him. For I know it bothers him inside and he seems to talk about it every time I see him.

People often wonder why something happened instead of accepting it and moving on.

This leads to taking forgiveness out of their life equation. Just like my friends parents did by not

giving him the benefit of the doubt. That in turn created a strained and unhealthy relationship.

These situations are not good to be around. So I say gve yourself a happy life and forgive. Even

though it might take time and challenge you in many ways. Eventually it will set you free through bringing more happiness by giving.

Forgiveness is something I live with. I try to understand and move on. Giving people a

chance is a wonderful thing and is what I believe in.