Ryan - Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Themes: sports

What is the first image that comes to mind when one hears the word “frisbee”? I can imagine that the picture that one has in their head is of a shoeless teenager wearing corduroy pants, a tie-die shirt and dreadlocks as their hair style having a pass with a frisbee on some open field in a park with their friend. I can assure you that Frisbee has come a long way since the 1970’s. Many people think that Frisbee is a sport that only hippies play. That is not the case. It is not called Ultimate Frisbee or Ultimate for short. I have been playing this sport for two years and as soon as I picked up that disc I found out real quick why it is has that name.

My introduction to ultimate frisbee was a very abrupt one. The leaves on the trees are starting to turn to the fall colors and the smell of a new beginning is in the air with the school year starting. It was the beginning of my junior year in high school and I was catching up with all of my friends that I hadn’t seen all summer. One day after school I got a phone call from one of my best friends, Kevin Martin. He told me that he and some of the kids who normally play are getting together at a local park to play some frisbee. This will be the first time that I have played, so I was not very good. But there was something about this game that reached out and grabbed me like a kid getting candy from a Halloween bag.

Frisbee is the ultimate sport. It combines the endurance of soccer, the speed of track, the jumping and agility of basketball, and the passing and catching skills from football. If ultimate frisbee isn’t the number one fastest growing sport in America then it’s number two. In today’s world of ultimate frisbee it is much more competitive than before.

Last summer I played in a local ultimate frisbee league with some of my friends. Going into the first game I thought that I was a pretty good athlete and our team would not have too much difficulty winning a game. Ever since I started playing soccer every year in a recreational soccer league since I was five, I grew into what I though was a well conditioned athlete because my body was used to playing sports a lot and adapted to that. I found out that some of the players on these other teams made me look like a little child. It was such a frustrating experience because they made everything they do seem so easy, and when I tried to duplicate those actions it was so hard. These players were amazing. They could cut on a dime, accelerate like a cheetah, and dive for catches like a soccer goalie defending the goal. The entire summer made me realize that everyday ultimate frisbee becomes more and more mainstream and popular, and if you even want to have a chance at being a good player, you have to work hard at getting your body into shape and practicing all of the different types of throws and strategies.

If you still think that ultimate frisbee is still a game that is only played by hippies, then I challenge you to go out for yourself and see what it’s really like. Once you do, you will find out quickly that you have to be a pure athlete to play this sport of sports, the sport of Ultimate Frisbee.