Its Not an Oxymoron To Be a Pure Atheist and Support World Religion

James - Wake Forest, North Carolina
Age Group: 65+
Themes: atheism

Being the definition of Atheist is a doubter or nonbeliever, my own definition is an Agnostic is a doubter, leaving the Atheist as a nonbeliever. There’s an old adage that “Everyone has to believe in something”, which has lead some Atheist’s non-belief into a belief itself, which has created yet another religion of ridiculous nonbelievers. Sadly this group dilutes atheism’s purest value of being free of any religion, and some are arrogant enough to argue against the majority that make up world religions in hope of disproving any belief in God, and to what end I’ve yet to ever figure out.

My definition of a majority would be the American Indian’s act of driving hundreds of buffalo off a cliff, and then collect the meat at the bottom without shooting an arrow. Just prior to leaving the edge of the cliff that buffalo herd considered themselves as being part of a secure safe majority. Though that herd majority decision wasn’t a good one, attempting to destroy the religious majority and the security in their belief of a savior, may result in the same end. In my estimation it’s wrong to convert the world into nonbelievers, but just to the contrary, we should be promoting the root morality behind most all religions.

As an Atheist I can freely understand the negative effect of the loss of mankind’s moral religious beliefs. It seems like just a few years ago, Elvis Presley wasn’t allowed to be shown on TV from the waist down, compare that standard to where our moral valves have eroded to today, and you can see that without an ever lasting life penalty to pay, and left to our own demise, as nation we are marching down a dangerous moral path.

Though you may not have the same beliefs in a God, it wouldn’t be a benefit to humanity to argue against the basics behind religion. As an Atheist it’s easy to argue the Garden of Eden and the plucking of a rib from Adam to create Eve, so it’s futile to argue the point. Its not important, though arrogant, to attempt to win the religion argument. As an Atheist I have the freedom to believe in evolution without the stumbling worry of creationism, the freedom to disagree with the killing of any living thing, especially behind the cloak of religion, I can be against war but not the warrior, and still live my life as if there were a God!

Why on earth would anyone argue against religion with someone who is comfortable with his or her faith? Though I’m a 67 year old that has evolved from a Christian upraising to an Atheist, I see no reason or advantage to strip my children and grandchildren of their belief in a savior that promises ever-lasting life.