Mishawn - Reno, Nevada

I feel that as a young, mature teenager, I should be able to have a serious relationship with whom I want to have one with. Although, my family and friends don’t agree. I have always been attracted to older guys—no, not old guys, just a little bit older than me. Guys around seventeen and eighteen years old seem to be more mature than fifteen and sixteen year old guys. I honestly don’t have any time to deal with little boys in high school; being over protective with me, and jealous of other guys. Its “normal” for those people who obey what their parents say about dating boys who are their age and not get serious, but I believe that you shouldn’t waste your time trying out all of these guys until your twenty five. You should be able to make your own decision, and learn from it. Rather than counting on your best friend to hook you up with that guy who they think is for you. I know it sounds crazy and weird, but it is real. You should want to be with somebody who you like, and feel happy with.

When I was thirteen years old, I started dating a sixteen year old guy. We really liked each other, and didn’t care what anybody said. I was scared shitless to tell my parents though, because I already knew that they weren’t going to be happy about it. But I couldn’t lie to them and keep our relationship a secret forever—so I told them. Of course they flipped out. We ended up sitting down and talking about the advantages and disadvantages of being with a guy who is three years older than me. They knew I was a mature girl who knew right from wrong, and they wanted me to learn from my mistakes. Although, as all parents react towards these kinds of things when they have a teenage daughter, they were afraid that I was going to get too serious with him, and that he was just trying to get in my pants. Of course. I feel that I know how to make decisions that wont make me regret making them in the end. Surprisingly, I haven’t made any mistakes yet. Its been almost three years that my boyfriend and I have been together. Its amazing how no matter what people said, or thought about us, it didn’t change our relationship or the way we felt about each other, and its still the same way now.

I believe that age isn’t anything but a number. I believe that if you feel a special way about someone, you should have the choice of being in a relationship with them, or even friends. People should worry about themselves and their own relationship. I believe that it is okay to take input from others, but then again, not letting them run your relationship, or make you do one thing when you want to do the other. I was very self conscious about going out to the movies with him because of how people would look at me, or label me. But I believe that if you really like someone, you should feel comfortable around them, and not care what negative comments people give you, or even the dirty looks. I believe its about you and your man, not what people think.