Harold - Waxhaw, North Carolina

I Believe In Me

As a child growing up in Poverty almost all of my dreams were snatched by my father not being there to help me dream, and no mother to believe in me. Yet, my grandmother was the only one who believed in me. I was considered the black sheep of the family. The outcast, the dumbbell, and no goals were set for me. The only friend that believed in me was my tears.

Joining the workforce at an early age shifted my dream. I worked two jobs and I attended night school because I still believed in my dream. There are many voices calling me away from this dream. Parenting, sickness, and keeping up with the rat race but, I still believe. As a child I watched others who had the same dream. But, it was checked by lack of energy, inability to persevere, and premature death. As I grow older I realize my dream is sliding away each day. But, I still believe in my dream.

I ask my self the question, how can I pass on my dream to my children? How can I leave footprints on the sands of time? The answer comes back to me; it’s in your perseverance, your focus on the end goal, your energy, and your hunger for better, your attitude towards hard work.

Closed doors have been a source of motivation. I have been faced with many challenges here in college, and have learned to tackle them one by one. Sometimes I go around them, other times I surmount them, and yet there are times when I have no choice but to face them head on. It is at those times that I am reminded that college is not about being bright, it is about being consistent.

Indeed, every setback is a setup for a comeback. This has been the driving force in my life; this is why I keep the dream alive. I believe that through hard work I will gain a college education and rise above my present circumstances. Education is the gateway to opportunity and I strongly believe that my gates are about to swing wide open.

I believe despite the lack of proper educational opportunities while growing up, I can still achieve my goal. I believe that even though I joined the work force at an early age it has helped to prepare me for the next level. I believe that although I set my schedule around my family and childcare efforts, I will still achieve my goal. I believe that a college education will change my life for good and that I can achieve it as long as I believe.