Troy - New Washoe City, Delaware

I believe that every book is a door to a new world. It lets you just relax, and let your imagination go crazy. It is one of the greatest things in the world.

When I was growing up if someone started to talk about books and reading I would say that they were weird. But now if someone starts talking about books I gladly join in. As you can see, I didn’t always like books in fact, I hated them.

The third grade was when my life changed. We all took the Gates McGinity test for reading comprehension, and since I didn’t like reading I never read. Well my reading level ended up being below my grade level and boy was I embarrassed. My teacher came up to me and asked to have a conference with my mom and me after school one day. She told my mom how I did on the test and asked why it was that low. We eventually decided that I needed to get into reading somehow. She showed me what books she had and I looked through them to see if I liked any. Finally I found one that I thought was interesting. It was a book that gave you options to change the story every time you read it.

So I started reading books like that and I eventually liked books more and more. By the time we took the Gates McGinity test again I had a fourth grade reading level. My teacher came up to me afterwards and told me I did a good job. And ever since then I have enjoyed reading whenever I can. I give all the credit of finding the enjoyment and freedom of books to my third grade teacher.