Connie - Saint Paris, Ohio

I believe we live in a world where we all believe the same thing. The question often arises but what is that? The information that I want to share with you today is not based on any one belief but more on how strongly you believe.

I sat through a philosophy class recently. My first thought was, God give me the strength to get through this. I was rather shocked by the end of the class at the amount of information that I learned. One thing that did strike me through this class was, the lack of ability to commit that a lot of the students had. It appears that these days “everything is allowed” and we should all “just get along.” The amount of acceptance toward behaviors and attitudes has reached a level that I believe warrants accepting everything. It seemed the majority of everyone just wanted everyone to get along to the extent that there is no longer a level of acceptable behavior and not acceptable behavior to live by.

I believe that you don’t need to ask yourself who or what you will follow but rather, how will you lead? There is an old adage, if you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything. This adage is actually backed by the bible in Isaiah 7:9, if you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all. We have become a society where we have taken the freedom of speech and the freedom of religion to a place that no one really believes in anything. There was a time when you were catholic, you were catholic. Now the response is, I was raised Catholic but I am not a practicing Catholic. I was raised German Baptist, or Jehovah’s Witness, etc. People once stood for something and yes, it may have been aggravating to have them knocking on your door or strutting their beliefs in public but you have to hand them this, they stood for something and were not ashamed to show it. I am not picking on these beliefs; don’t get me wrong, I actually salute them. They have a belief! They will lead someone in their life. They will guide someone. Today, not so much. Many children today are raised with no belief system at all. No standard set of morals or beliefs. My question is how can we feel safe and secure in our country when we are no longer sure what our country stands for? We have stripped ourselves of the very beliefs that this country stood for. When our forefathers founded this country it was based on something! They made a stand and even wrote proclamations on it. Our country was revered by others, we were a hit. We were receiving Gods grace and mercy. Others wanted to be here. No so much today. Why?

Today, if our congressmen and representatives were asked what do you believe, how are you leading, by the end of the conversation you aren’t really sure. Why, because they believe in whatever it is that will get them elected. If you poll a student council and ask what you believe, where you will lead once you graduate, many don’t know and it is not their fault. They have only been shown one thing, be accepting of all. We are desensitizing our nation to the point where we no longer stand for anything.

So my question to those reading this today is not Who do you Follow, but rather, How will you Lead?

I don’t believe in violence. I do uphold the Ten Commandments! I do believe in God! This is what I believe; this is how I will lead! How will you lead?