Shaunna - Reno, Nevada

Faith is Fortune

There are many types of beliefs that people can have. Beliefs can be about faith or religion, or simply about words that people choose to live by. The strongest belief I have is my belief in God. My faith in God is what I base my life upon. I believe that without my faith, I would feel as though I had nothing to live for. When I am going through hard times, I always know that I have my faith to hold onto and get me through.

I have been blessed in my life in the sense that I haven’t gone through many hard times. So I don’t have an amazing story about a family member overcoming cancer that proves my belief. However, my faith has been proven to me many times in small ways that may not seem like much, but they mean a lot to me.

I lived in Carson City for the first ten years of my life. I went to a private, Christian school, from pre-school to fourth grade, where I also attended church. When my family and I moved to Reno the summer before fifth grade, I would be attending a regular elementary school. My parents were not sure about the transition, because it was such a huge change. Being a child, I was nervous about making new friends, especially when I had known most of my other friends in Carson since kindergarten, some even pre-school. I had a best friend in Carson that I was really close to, and I didn’t want to move to Reno at all. I couldn’t see any good outcomes to this situation, but thankfully there were many.

I started making friends quickly. I made one friend in particular who ending up becoming my best friend. The whole move and transition of schools went so smoothly, I knew that it was God and that my faith had got me through it. I also see my faith proved everyday by simply observing the earth around me. When I look around and see all of the beautiful things in nature, I know that there is something greater behind it all.

Relating to my belief in God, I believe that everything happens for a reason. Even seemingly bad things can turn out for the better. For example, when I first moved to Reno I disliked it, but now I love all of my friends here and it turned out that I like public school much better than private school.

Along with all of my other beliefs, I believe in open-mindedness. Especially as being a young adult, I believe that I can gain a lot from having an open mind. I have certain beliefs that I wouldn’t change, but I am also interested in what others believe, and perhaps developing new beliefs as I grow older. I believe that I can learn many things by listening to others and debating with them because arguments are not always about winning, but about learning. This I believe.