Robert - Reno, Nevada
Themes: equality

I believe that people can do whatever they want with their lives and it won’t matter how tall, short, fat, skinny, muscular, or scrawny they are. Size doesn’t matter. I’m a big example of this, being one of the shortest kids in my class ever since first grade. But it doesn’t just have to be height. Someone who doesn’t have too much muscle build could end up working in construction, and people who weigh a lean 180 pounds could end up finding numbers as an accountant for some big name company. In my case it’s been the challenge of doing things such as basketball every day and learning to take my size and use it to my advantage.

I believe these things don’t just happen with jobs or sports, either. In everyday life, in the real world we live in, things that have to do with the shape and size someone is and how they’re dealing with it are all around us. I’m always taking my size and trying to fit it into my life, thinking of things I’ll be able to do better than others and things I won’t be able to do at all. For example, at my school lockers are either on top or bottom. Being a sophomore I wasn’t originally given a locker, but when I asked for one they gave me a bottom locker. Luckily for me I don’t have to squat down as far to reach it. A taller person might have to almost sit down to see the numbers on the dial, which could be problem for people walking in the hallways. That’s something that doesn’t matter too much, but I was able to use my short stature as an advantage, which is something I believe everyone should do. Instead of complaining about how your body was given to you and how it was shaped and sized, people should find new ways to make good use of it and turn something that might be a disadvantage into an advantage.

Skinny people being able to reach their arms behind the couch for the remote, heavier-set people being warmer in the winter, the evidence is everywhere. I’ve run into many situations where being short came in handy, like not having to duck under things like an only partway open garage door, or being more wind resistant while skiing or riding a bike. If we could all forget about what we look like and do whatever we want to do with life (because that’s definitely something we can all do), then the future would actually be something that everyone looks forward to.