Nancy - Needham, Massachusetts
Age Group: 65+

I like metaphor. In the song of our marriage, Todd is the music and I’m the words. Like Rogers and Hammerstein, Comden and Green, or Mozart and what’s his name. So- our words–flute obbligato anyone?

In religion, I’a a doubter, a seeker. I’m a little afraid of people who are absolutely sure of their faith, who believe every word in the sometimes metaphorial Bible and I’m totally flummoxed by those who find sacred images in flawed windows or peanut butter sandwiches.

We were rasied in the church. Not this one, but the church. Todd began singing at age 8 in an Episcopal choir, and was paid $2.00 a month, the most he’s ever earned from his music. I wa raised Presyterian- and Methodist–and Dutch reformed-so issues of church polity are interesting but generally not deal breakers.

I am a mass of contradictions. I love the language of the King James Bible- and I’m glad we sing the Doxology as we do. I say “I believe;help Thou my unbelief”=and as the plane takes off, I pray “Into Thy hands…” Todd, a World War II pilot, in the window seat is reliving his flyboy days.

We believe with James Russell Lowell that “New occasions teach new duties. Time makes ancient good uncouth. They must upward still and onward, who keep abreast of truth.” Lowell was thinking of the very controversial issue of the abolition of slavery. We experienced in tghis church the Open and Affirming process and grew and learned from it.

In the mystery novels of P.D. James, Inspector Dalgliesh is a nonbeliever. His father was a Church of England vicar,and in the dark days of the soul which a homicide detective encounters, Dalgliesh is warmed and guided by his father’s advice to :Act as though it were true”.

Our congregation includes I am sure, people all along the spectrum of belief. We move along together, asking our questions, achieving new wisdom, and acting out our faith as best we can..