Helene - Greensburg, PA 15601, Pennsylvania
Age Group: 65+

Black and white rhetoric in describing humans has puzzled me for decades. I was curious about its usage, especially since we gave up the other two bogus terms that divide humanity–red and yellow, all inferring derogatory meanings. So I decided to go right to the horses mouth. I called the international media that drives the guidance of language for the press. When I called this most powerful medium, the Associated Press, I was told that their style handbook directed them to call American Africans “Blacks” and Caucasians “Whites.” If the term “American African” is used,” it must be written with parentheses. I was stunned. The handbook did not direct American Indians to be called “Reds” or Asians to be called “Yellows.” My question exposed the fact that whoever wrote the handbook was prejudice and inconsistant in empowering most of the world into bigoted thinking. Black, for the most part means everything negative. But although white can mean pure, the biased writers of the handbook were not aware of the fact that white also means fearful coward.