Naomi - Fairbanks, Alaska

I believe in communication. Being connected is important to me. “Lol” can bring a smile to your face, but it isn’t as contagious as a friend’s spontaneous laughter. The phrase, “you had to be there” emphasizes the importance of face to face communication.

I am part of a sports team that decided to go out to eat after a game. Being a freshman, I do not know my teammates very well. When we arrived at the restaurant, we were seated and out came the cell phones. Then my teammate’s faces were alight with a blue glow. I didn’t have a cell phone. Since I did not know many people, I already felt a bit excluded. But, when the cell phones came out, I felt even less connected to the people who were sitting right next to me. They were neglecting me for friends on their phones. I ended up sitting there the whole time not talking with anyone. Cell phones are a large brick wall between communication and intimate communication. This experience made me realize that I believe in intimate communication.

Intimate communication builds and strengthens relationships. So much is lost when there is no visual contact. Being able to see the body language of another person is a gift that is slowly slipping away as our society changes its values to that of efficiency instead of quality.

I like to communicate in a more intimate way. For me, email and talking on the phone for hours just isn’t as appealing as talking to someone face to face. The actual, visual part of communication is missing in email and texting. For communication to really work, I have to see the person and the body language. Body language is used to emphasize a point and to convey your true feelings. I can understand calling someone long distance. I appreciate texting and emailing quick reminders and small conversations. I think cell phones are wonderful. Being connected is great. However, I think visual communication is the best. I believe talking face to face and obtaining a personal connection enhances relationships.