Carol - Salt Lake City, Utah

THIS I BELIEVE

I believe in love: I believe only the lucky ones of us will find that one person who makes our life and sojourn on this planet worthwhile.

I believe in marriage: I believe we have the right to spend this brief moment in eternity with the love of our life – to spend our youth, our middle age, and our golden years together.

What I don’t understand is all the hoopla about gay marriage being a threat to our family values or a menace to our community.

Because I’ve got to tell you that when I walk down a dark alley at night, frankly it’s not being attacked by roving bands of homosexual couples that scares me.

When I’m at the ATM and looking over my shoulder nervously, the guy with the delicate air is not the one I’m worried about brandishing a gun.

The drive-by shootings in my neighborhood, I just know are not by gangs of gay couples

When I hold my sobbing teenage student who has just been raped, or visit the battered women’s shelter, I’m pretty certain it’s not the homosexuals who brutalized those women

When statistics show me one-third of all births in the US are to single mothers, and that the divorce rate now tops 50%, and families are torn asunder – it’s not the homosexual who I’m thinking caused that tragedy.

And finally, when I compare notes with other 60+ year-old women whose husbands of 40 years have divorced them for a 29-year old trophy wife, and these elderly women now find themselves destitute with no marketable skills besides raising his children – you’ve got to wonder …..

But it’s the homosexual couples we regard as a threat to our family values, and a menace to our community?

Okay, in all fairness, I must admit that when I come home and find someone has broken into my house, cleaned up the kitchen, made the beds, and tastefully redecorated my living room AGAIN – I’m going to be eyeing with suspicion that homosexual couple at the end of my block

Otherwise, I think we need to leave these people alone. I think they have the right to spend their life with the one they love: to pledge their lives to each other, to financially provide for each other, to purchase a home together, to tackle crabgrass and termites together, to save for cruises and cars together, to stand by each other in sickness and in health, ……and when their life comes to an end, I think they have the right to die in each other’s loving arms – just like the rest of us.