Cole - Gilbert, Iowa
Themes: freedom

My Freedom

“We may be small in numbers but we carry big batons”. This was our track slogan my freshman year and because of freedom we were able to use it. In America you are able to say what you want when you want to, do what you want to do when you want to, and be whoever you want to be. People sometimes underestimate the power of our freedom but with it I am able to influence the world around me. I am able to become whatever I want and I plan on making use of it. I believe in freedom because without it my life wouldn’t be the same.

Ever since I can remember I have always rebelled against being controlled by other people. I have always wanted to be the one in charge and the one who takes the fall if it is wrong. I know this may sound weird to people today who are content to just follow and not make waves, but I want to make a difference in the world. I suppose this is mainly because of my parents. They have pretty much let me have free reign on my life since I was 16, and I have always strived to make sure they didn’t regret it. Many people would think they were crazy for letting me do what I want, but it works for me. Sure I’ve made mistakes and done things I probably shouldn’t have done, but that’s life. I remember one time I was running through someone’s yard pretty late at night. I couldn’t see in front of me, so I stepped into some sand and tripped and chipped a piece of bone off my ankle. I wasn’t able to walk for the rest of the night and had to walk with a cane for about 3 days. But without the life lessons I have learned from the mistakes I have made I probably wouldn’t even like the person I am be today. With the freedom I have had with my own life I have shaped myself into someone I am proud to be and like a lot.

I know it may seem weird that just because I was able to do what I want with my life that I was able to turn out into someone I like. But since I did I don’t plan and just letting it go to waste and not using my life lessons to help the world. I plan on going out in the world and making sure that it will never be the same once I’m dead. Anything less would be a failure in my eyes. I want to make sure that everything I do has a meaning and to live life to the fullest. With the freedom I have been blessed with I can change the world and myself and this is why I believe.