Love Lead Me on. Family Keep Me Strong.

Hannah - Ames, Iowa
Themes: family, love, setbacks

I believe in the strength of family. I believe in the way they can band together to get through the hard things. It takes faith, trust, confidence, love, and strength to do all of the things a family does.

How could someone so young understand the strength a family needs to stay together? I know firsthand how they do it. My family lives split apart, in two separate states and in two separate worlds. My parents are not divorced, as you might think the situation would command, but still very much in love. My father took a new job this past December. It is a better job than the one he had, but now he lives in Wisconsin, waiting for me to finish high school, so that my family can move up there with him.

It is not easy to live broken apart like this, having your dad miss all of the important things that happen to you in your senior year, seeing your mom break down in misery because you live in an apartment in Iowa, while your dad is in another state trying to start a better career. It isn’t easy to play mom for your younger siblings on the nights your mom works late and your dad isn’t there. It isn’t easy to be yelled at by your brother and sister, telling you that they hate you. You are trying your hardest to be kind and loving, and you know that they are not yelling at you, but merely yelling because it is hard feeling like your parents aren’t there when you need them sometimes. It isn’t easy when everything seems to be going wrong, and it all comes out sideways, coming at you and from you. It is hard to stay calm when all you want to do is cry and scream, because of everything that is happening.

I have learned though, that our family stays together because we want it to. Strength of heart binds us together. What we have been through, and are going through, all of the hard things, all of the happy times, show me that we can make it through, together and as a family. Because of this I believe in the strength of family.