If You Knew Better….

Jennifer - Wonder Lake, Illinois

Fighting For the Rights of Animals

I believe animal rights should be protected because just like the needy depend on others, such as the government for survival, they depend on us to live a content life without being threatened. Animals serve for many good purposes besides getting used for clothing, testing products, or for exotic foods. I think of them as being helpless creatures that without our help their futures would not be something they would want to look forward to. There are so many reasons for their existence and if people continue animal abuse our earth would not function the same.

Many animals such as gorillas, dolphins, and dogs love to work and help out humans by keeping them company. Their jobs could be from helping out the blind to helping out drowning victims. Even though they are not getting paid for their hard work, the love and attention they receive makes up for it. I think animals are very useful and should be put to work because many of them end up doing something they love.

Also, there is nothing that can put a smile on a child’s or even adult’s face like a cute animal doing a spectacular performance. Animals such as monkeys and whales have been entertaining people for ages. Putting shows is what they have been trained to do all their lives and that I think is the only good reason they should be taken away from their habitat, unless they are being abused in the process. It is even proven that sick patients get better not with medical treatment but with “doggy therapy,” in which dogs are used to keep patients accompanied and happy.

Not only that, many turn their loneliness into happiness when they decide to bring a household pet into their homes. Whether it be a dog, cat, hamster, or snake they all bring happiness. Even though they cannot talk I think they can make the best companions. Almost all animals have the tendency of staying faithful, being supportive, and never giving you a cold shoulder when you need somebody there the most. Even if you are just watching television, whatever animal you might have will sit with you and protect you incase you encounter any danger.

I strongly believe that all animals have rights and we should fight for them if somebody tries to take them away. I think that they rely on us to make sure that they are safe and out of harms way. All animals deserve to live the way they want to without any human abuse or neglecting on their part. The law should protect animal rights just like our government protects our rights, this I believe.