Nadine - Hadley, Massachusetts
Age Group: 65+

A group of teachers assembled up in Williamstown, Mass. about twenty five years ago for a gathering of the Massachusetts Teachers Association. I happened to be there with some women from Easthampton, Massachusetts. Our day schedule was set by the organization but our evenings were free, so we acquired some tickets to see “Equus” at the Williamstown theater. I was surprised when I was offered seats on stage, known as bleachers. Wouldn’t that be a thrill for the teachers, I thought, especially Yvette, recently retired from being a nun down south after a twenty-five year career.

Yvette was delighted with her front row seat, right on stage next to the actors. The actors included a pair of adolescent lovers who couldn’t wait to meet up in the barn. I had no idea about the play, expected it to be tame, maybe even boring. Neither did the rest of the group. Well, we were more surprised than we expected to be.

When the lovers started to remove their clothing completely, I kept thinking about Yvette’s lack of preparation for stage nudity. It wasn’t really a sex scene, just a nude scene. I expected Yvette to leap off the stage. She didn’t.

We all applauded for the actors after it ended and walked up the trail to our dormitory. I asked Yvette what she thought of the play. “It was beautiful,” she said. “Just like Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.”