Daniel - linwood, New Jersey

This I Believe Essay

Volunteering completes me as a person. My motivation is rooted in my belief that no child should ever be deprived of the nutrition they need to learn & thrive in our society. It’s not like I have experienced hunger myself or even that I know someone close to me that has experienced hunger. My motivation comes from being an everyday kid who learned about childhood hunger at a local soup kitchen. Recognizing the severity of this social tragedy I decided that I could make a difference. By raising funds and awareness about childhood hunger, while educating youth about the importance of nutrition in their learning and development, I believed I could be instrumental in creating a hunger free America. I began by participating in hunger walks, organizing food collections & volunteering at our Community Food Bank. Simultaneously, I began working with the Share Our Strength Great American Bake Sale program. I built on my interest in baking and changed a hobby into a talent for helping others. My baking provided me an avenue to raise even more funds to feed children that might otherwise have gone unfed. I founded project ‘Kids Feeding Kids’ and began organizing year round community bake sales and awareness efforts in addition to selling my baking book and specially designed anti-hunger pins. As my project progressed I thought of even more creative ways to engage and educate my community. The sky was the limit. I have already raised enough funds to provide more than 21,791 healthy meals to children that might have otherwise gone unfed. My motivation and drive comes from being an everyday kid who believes that if we can conquer space, find cures to diseases and communicate between worlds in a click of a button, we can conquer childhood hunger in America and throughout the world by working together toward a common goal. This I believe!