Cailyn - Owlshead, New York
Themes: setbacks, sports

I fell off my bike once. I’ve also fallen down stairs and up them. I was once found lying face down on the sidewalk because I had tripped over a tree root and fallen. Even though I fell off my back and scraped my knee I got back on and tried again. This resulted in a few more scrapes, but I soon accomplished the task of riding my bike without training wheels. Falling down and up the stairs hasn’t really fazed me much, and I haven’t given up on stairs and started using elevators. Just because I tripped over a tree root and fell on my face didn’t mean that it would happen again, so I got back up and kept walking. Needless to say just from the mentioning of the subject I have tripped over many more tree roots. These small incidents have led to me to believe that you should get back up after you fall and try again.

Falling down and getting back up doesn’t just apply to my clumsy antics. They apply to real life every day. It’s like the old saying “if at first you don’t succeed try, try again.” Everyday life gives you trials and tribulations, you work through them and if you mess up like I have, you just try again. Giving up isn’t something I am prone to do and that is why I firmly believe in trying until you get it right or at least close enough to right that no one can tell the difference.

My dad would always tell me never give up until the job is done, and I guess that’s really had an influence on me and how I approach life. I remember one softball season when my dad was coaching my team he made me pitch. I’m not going to lie and tell you I was amazing. No, I down right stunk! I was angry at first then embarrassed then I just wanted to sit down on the mind and cry. But every time I looked up I could see my dad standing behind the back post smiling and telling me to relax. Finally after I had walked the most of the line up and allowed the other team 8 runs I was ready to quit. But I didn’t because all I could think of was my dad looking at me and saying “try your hardest and don’t give up until the job is done.” I finished the inning, and after the game I decided I liked pitching and I went home and practiced, now during softball season you can see me standing on the mound throwing windmills and getting some strikes.

So, I’m not afraid of falling, and if I do fall I get right back up. I only have one life to live so I plan on living it up and I don’t plan on spending it sitting on the ground because of being afraid of being hurt or messing up again. No, I plan on getting the job done no matter how long it takes or how many times I have to try. I believe fear shouldn’t stop you from trying again until you succeed. If everyone was afraid of failure we wouldn’t have electricity or Ford.