Robert - Malone, New York

Robert Recore 11-19-07

“This I Believe” Per: 6

Many revolve their lives around lies. When you lie you bury yourself deeper and deeper with lies. Those who lie seem to hurt others time and time again.

Honesty is the best policy. I believe to earn others trust, love, and respect; you must be honest. Being raised by an outspoken man has had its impact on me. My father raised me from the age of four until now. He has raised me to be respectful and honest. He leads by example. When there is talk about someone by others my father would be the one to break the news. He tends not to let slander continue. I’ve seen times when there are things going wrong at work and people have things to say but never speak up, he does. One thing I can say is; my father speaks the truth. Many at work were putting off their work and sticking my step mother with it and she was doing work of 3 people. She was having a rough time with late nights and stressful days. She would come home and discuss with my father how stressful if was on her. After one evening of helping and discussing this with my step mother he knew that this was wrong for them to do. The next day my father went into the manager’s office and spoke his mind and spoke the truth. Telling the manager of those who aren’t working the way they should and giving their work to my step mother to do for them.

“Honesty is the key” is a quote often heard, and that is what I believe. To have a relationship with someone work you must be honest. When a relationship is revolving on lies you get no where, and nothing happens but someone getting hurt in the end. Lies may work at that point in time but the truth does become discovered and things fall apart. Someone lies once and it continues until the truth is told or is revealed. I’ve always been able to talk to my father about anything and it helps to stay honest, because he’s not only and understanding man but he helps me when I need him to be there for me.

To this day I base life on honesty. I have been lied to and I have been hurt through those lies. I once put my heart and trust in a person’s hands. I believed everything i was told and believed nothing else. One day I found out the truth on my own and was crushed from the fact of believing what I was told and it not being the truth. On the phone hearing their voice change, struggle to speak to me, and stuttering. I began asking questions not only to them but myself as well. I then found the truth and was hurt. Even though this hurt me deeply, I still am who I am, I still believe in honesty, and take pride in who I am and how I can be honest. I feel bad for those who revolve their lives around lies because I have lied and faced the consequences, and seen others who lie on a daily basis. These consequences changed me from a child of lies to a young man of honesty. Lies make your life harder that’s all they do. You get out of what you need to then, but the future holds harsher consequences. Honesty is what helps me as a person, a son, a brother and a friend because my family and friends know that they can trust me.

I realize that in this world not everyone is like me or my father. Not everyone is honest as they should be. People just have to adjust to the world and realize life isn’t all honesty and isn’t fair. To be honesty is what I believe in.