Cierra - Washoe Valley, Nevada
Themes: golden rule

Following the Voice

I believe in the golden rule. Boring right? But as I sat in the car with my brother the other day I saw something that made me realize what my number one belief was. We were down town and there was an old man with two little girls sitting at his feet. They were very rugged looking and looked like they had not been washed in a long time. He was holding a sign that said “Please help us. God Bless You”

As I looked at the sign and the people walking by I wondered what it would be like to be in that position. I couldn’t even fathom what it would be like. So as this weather beaten old man stood there, I watched the people walk pass to see who would be kind enough to help this man and the little girls out. What I saw bothered me, out of about ten people not one of them would help this man. I wish that I could say that I was a better, more caring individual than they were, but I just sat there and thought about giving him my last twenty rather than actually doing it.

What I realized in doing this though is that the people that you least expect to do something like give out money usually will. My brother who thinks that you get what you work for in life got out of the car and gave the man thirty dollars. I was really amazed by his compassion and change of heart. I really gained a new respect for him, and a greater understanding of my belief. I always thought that I knew what my beliefs were but after seeing this I got a greater understanding. So I believe in the Golden Rule, treat others as you want to be treated. And if I see another human that needs help that I can provide I am not just going to feel sorry for them and turn my back, I will actually do what I think is right and do what I can to help the person, as I would want somebody to do for me.