Steven - Boone, Iowa
Themes: community, sports

Fourth and goal on the two yard line. It’s 10-14 with the final seconds melting away. You have to believe in the situation, believe you’re going to prevail, and most importantly believeng in yourself and in your team. The meaning of believe is to have confidence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully. This is why I believe in believing.

To succeed at most anything you have to believe that you can. You have to have that faith and determination to achieve your goals and attain your dreams. You must first believe in yourself, knowing that you are capable of overcoming the obstacle ahead. Playing against a number one ranked team to kick off the 2007 football season was a pretty big obstacle. Believing in myself gave me the confidence, and by everyone of my teammates believing in themselves too, gave our team the confidence that we could come out and dominate every aspect of the game.

Next you have to believe in what you’re doing, if you don’t believe in that then what is point of trying? Believing starts with attitude and if you have a lousy attitude then there is no reason to start something. A big reason we won that game is because of our attitude and we all believed in what we were doing. Playing for the Gilbert Tiger Football team, playing for our fans, and playing for ourselves. We believed in our abilities but also in the coaches and the way they prepared us for such a battle!

I believe this true of my life and the opportunities I have had. Believing that I have the ability to reach my goals and dreams. If I didn’t believe, what would be the purpose of trying, at school, or athletics? Playing on the grid-iron has really shown me what believing is all about. Playing with your best friends and your team creates a belief in one another that you cannot detect until you truly believe. Knowing that your team-mate is with you when you look across deep into his eyes and seeing the glazed glare of determination and knowing you believe but most importantly, you are believing together.