Hiding in the Shadow

Ryan - Ames, Iowa

A Mask should only be worn during Halloween. Even though I know this is true, I see people with different faces around different people. At a young age this skill is taught to you. You’re told to look up to your father and idolize him, essentially be him. Applying these masks may seem like a great idea, but actually they cause you a bunch of stress. The people you really need are the ones who treat you with respect and like you for who you are.

Masks cause so much stress; I just can’t stress it enough. I know this from personal experience as we all do. Some friends and I were hanging out and someone brought up a subject. I was going to say what I really wanted to say: my beliefs! All I said was “dude I love baseball cards.” This isn’t exactly true. I HATE baseball cards. Wearing the mask causes stress to take place because you’re not thinking for yourself. You are thinking for other as well.

I am the first to say I have wasted so much money because of wearing a mask. Let’s see, just to name a few: pokemon, yo-yos, baseball cards, and a whole lot more. This is a pointless game because you spend your money on the things the want, not really what you want. Essentially you’re throwing your money down the drain faster than a girl speaking IM. All of this stuff I collected in the middle school years is in my basement collecting dust. This is true for some of the stuff I buy today. There is no stopping mass media trying to present to us what’s cool.

If you have a close-knit group of friends, and you know each one of them personally, then your friends probably like you for who you are. If you have a big group and don’t really know any of them, you’re probably wearing a mask. I suggest you go and talk to someone you don’t know and really get to know them, even if it’s the weird crowd. Actually in my life experience, the weird crowd is more accepting than any other group. I actually hand out with my video game nerd friends in Ames, Iowa everyday. I feel we have a strong bond, and I would tell them anything on my mind. I don’t have to hide in the shadows. I am Ryan, and I am who I am.