Franklin - Seaford, Delaware

Being a young adult in High School, it’s obvious that I am full of beliefs and opinions. I hold many of these beliefs very highly. Of course, one of the beliefs that I hold highest is the belief that I should always stay true to myself. I cannot think of many beliefs that are more important than that. If one is not true to themselves, how can they be true to everyone else? Furthermore, this belief helps to ensure my individuality, and it makes me feel as if I’m a sincere person.

An example of a time where this belief has come into play was when I was in seventh grade. I was under the greatest pressure to fit in when I was in that grade, and I often came very close to selling myself out and conforming to the standards of my peers, just so they would like me. Thinking back, I can’t see why I would want to fit in so badly. Still, I didn’t conform. I remember a couple instances of my “friends” telling me to do all sorts of things to become “cool.” I was dressing like everyone else, and I was even shirking schoolwork and getting in trouble for the goal of being cool. Of course, none of these things were illegal or anything—I knew right from wrong. They really had me under their spell. Fortunately, I started to feel violated when I let other people run too much of my life for me. This fear of being under the confrol of my peers has driven me away from even wanting to totally fit in ever since. In a good way, it has kept me true to myself

In conclusion, I hold being true to myself to be a very important belief. Without holding this belief in high regard, I would just be a slave to everyone else’s wishes. I think I like having a personality and individuality, and it is a much better reward than being cool in the eyes of everyone else. Lastly, I would like to apologize to those individuals who are not true to themselves that I’ve offended.