Jaclyn - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: peace

Let us Be Silent

“Let us be silent, that we may hear the whispers of the gods.” ~ Emerson

Time ceased to exist. I sat, burrowing my toes into sand, warm from the sun’s benevolent rays. Stress, time, and wariness melted away in the presence of an utter lack sound. The sand dunes are a barren and lifeless place. The electric whir of life ceases to exist, and after a rain storm even the wind fades to nothingness. It was the only time in my life that I have experienced sheer silence, and it was not until that moment that I was able to apprehend the beauty inherent in silence. Thought seemed to replace sound, filling the abyss to overflowing with a pure untouched beauty. Suspended in thought and unhinged in time I realized the human fear of silence and also why silence is so imperative.

Society teaches us from birth that silence is something to be feared and eschewed, that silence is “awkward,” that we must wildly seize each moment of our lives in superficial motion. The real reason we fill our days to bursting with pandemonium is our fear of silence. Silence horrifies humans because they fear what they might discover in its depths. We subconsciously fear that if we stop and wait for the roaring of life to subside, we would discover that our lives are devoid of any meaning. Many flee its power because they are petrified of pausing long enough to let thought catch up with their actions. Enthralled by motion, and color, and noise, and commotion, however empty, they continue to hare away from silence because they are frightened of the unknown, of what emptiness may lie in the unplumbed depths of the soul. They flee because they are frightened to know themselves.

It is in silence that I seek myself. It is in silence that I learn my heart and its desires. For me, silence is a reverie, giving me a chance to rest for a while and discard time. I dissolve into and am embraced by silence whenever I seek the peace it continually bestows. The ultimate wellspring of contemplation and reflection, it is not the single key to fulfillment, yet this key can be discovered only in silence. It is in silence that I learn my mind.

Truth is revealed only in whispers. Therefore all genuine thought and creativity originates in silence. It is in silence that we resolve to change ourselves and our world because we are able to see the world as it truly is. The stillness naturally sparks the mind into unique wanderings and observations, leading to the formulation of opinions and ideas. If I do not know silence, I am simply filling my mind with the thoughts and skewed opinions of a corrupting society. Silence is the fecund soil in which ingenuity takes root. I believe that every human and moral value emanates from and is achieved through silence. The power of silence, in this I believe.