Mitchel - Centennial, Colorado

Mitch Suson

5th Hour English

I believe in the importance of family. Just this past August, I moved away from my family in Houston, Texas, to play for a hockey team in Colorado. I am living here with a host family. It seems like moving away from home would have hurt my family relationships; but in some ways it has actually strengthened them. When we all lived together, I didn’t make much of an effort to talk with my parents. I would come home from school, say that nothing happened during the day and go somewhere with friends or just do something else. Now, my parents and I talk for extended periods of time on the phone at least once or twice a day. My brother and I used to think that we didn’t like each other; but once we were separated, we realized that we actually did care for each other. Spending time with my family has now become something that I value.

I believe that you never really appreciate what you have until it is no longer there. People take things for granted. I never really thought about what it would be like to not live with my parents; although I think moving away from home has made me a much stronger person. The move has been a big adjustment for me. It has been hard to get used to going to a new school, making new friends, and most of all living in a new home. I never could have imagined what living without my family was going to be like. That was something I had to experience to appreciate. However, I think I have become much more responsible as a result of this experience. I have to remember to call members of my family every day; it cannot just slip my mind anymore. I have to make sure my hockey bag is ready to go, and I have to motivate myself to do school work and not get behind on homework. I don’t have my parents to do these things for me now. I think this experience has taught me to be more independent and is a great way to prepare me for living on my own.

The greatest part of this whole experience is that my family and my host family and I will have a close relationship for a long time to come. My “new family” treats me like one of their own. I am often taken aback by the compassion and generosity they have shown, to take me into their home, treat me like another member of the family and do everything they can to make me feel welcome. ]