Sarojinie - CA, California

I was born to a Roman Catholic family and I received my primary education from a Roman Catholic Convent. In school, I was brought up as a God-fearing child and the stories in the bible made me fascinated about the power of God. In my unexposed childish dreams God existed above everything possible. Of course there were instances as a young girl that I was to question his existence, but as times grew, I understood why God did not give in to all my requests. I gradually realized that it is better to place my trust in the Lord than to put confidence in Man.

When I look around, I believe that there is a God above because of the wonder that surrounds me. Looking at the sunset, the unimaginable trivial glories in nature, the intelligence of the human beings, cannot just come to reality from nowhere. It is my sincere belief that there is an invisible hand that created all of us. Each one of us, who are born to this world, has a job to fulfill and we are accountable to God for all our actions.

I believe that it is God who decides where we should be born and to whom. I say this because I did not choose my parents. My mother belonged to an aristocratic family. It is God that gave me this strong mother, who nurtured me and brought me up to this level with her wonderful guidance. I lost my father when I was very young and it was not easy for my mother to bring up four children all together. She always admits that with the grace of God that she managed to support us with our daily needs without fail. We were neither very rich nor very poor and we always had everything that we needed. I never had to be in hunger. So, there is no doubt in my mind that it was God’s invisible hand that led us in the right path. I am thankful to God for all the blessings I have received. It is God who gave me a normal life. Some people are born to this world as normal human beings and some with deformities. It is God who decides what is best for us. I may want a lot of things in life but it is God that decides what is best for me. What good we do to others is returned to us in some form. It may not be from the same source, but in different ways in unexpected times. I am thankful to God for bringing me to the world as a normal human being without deformities. When I see individuals born to this world with so many deformities such as being blind or abnormal, I feel that God has been kind to me. Money is not wealth, though it can give us material comfort. I always believed, if I want something, I have to work for it. For me being born as a normal human being and being in good health is the best wealth that one could have. I believe in God for if not for him, I would have been a ‘nobody’.

In school, when we did science, we were taught or made to believe that science had a hand in most of the wonders in nature. But for me, I believe that it was God who created the world and all that surrounds us. Someone had to do the initial creation and give human beings the brains to move on. All do not have the brains that the scientists do; that are limited to a selected few, chosen by God. All cannot study, hence the reason some people are poor, and some are excessively rich. Some are born to wealthy families, some are born to rule. All these are gifts from God. Of course, human beings are doing a lot of wonderful things like going to the moon, finding cures for serious illnesses etc. I believe that it is God who paved their way to creativity in the best interest of mankind. Biology may prove that a human being is born through science, but here again I believe that it is God that guides nature to do all these miraculous and wonderful things.

As a child, I went to church every Sunday, because I was brought up to believe that it is a day of obligation. I never missed Sunday mass. If for some reason, I had to miss Sunday mass, I always asked for God’s forgiveness. Now that I am grown up, I know God will not punish me for not attending Sunday mass, but I am glad that I had the discipline as a child to do so. Listening to the sermons regularly on Sundays helped me to increase my faith in god tremendously. As a result I am cautious to think twice before saying or doing something that would hurt another. Maybe if I did not go to church every Sunday and listened to the word of God, I would not have been so considerate towards others. So, in a way going to church and believing in God has helped me to grow up as a person with a clear conscience.

I recall an incident that made me more confident in God. It was the 31st of January 1996, I was working at the Central Bank of Sri Lanka, when a terrorists group drove a lorry load of explosives to the Bank. I was working on the first floor when it exploded. It was a horrible experience that killed over 150 bank employees, and made 38 employees totally blind. It also left over 200 employees with serious cuts and injuries. In my department alone, five employees became totally blind because of damage to the retina by broken glass. So if not for God’s blessings, I too would have ended up being totally blind or seriously handicapped. Of course, I too was slightly injured, but it was nothing serious compared to what my colleagues went through. This makes me strongly believe that it is my faith in God that spared my life. Most people think of God when things get tough or at an hour of need, maybe even at a time of illness. However, consistent faith in God at all times may lead to miracles beyond expression.

As time goes by, I have always thought that it was God that gave me all the wonderful things that had happened to me during my life up to now. It is not because I was trained to have faith in God as a child but as an adult I often realize his manipulation in mankind. I thank him immensely for my clear presence of mind, the ability to distinguish right from wrong and the endurance I possess when life becomes rough every now and then.

God’s existence may not be physically visible, but he appears in different forms in disguise. Those who are aware of his power will always feel his presence wherever they go and in everything they do.