Grayson - Reno, Nevada

My secret to Life

I believe that life is what you make it. I am a sophomore in high school, and I am sure I have found my lifetime belief. My great grandmother who is 91 years of age is the person who familiarized me with this simple and complex phrase. Every time I talk to her on the phone or in person she usually ends the conversation with, “Well, life’s what you make it.”

While I always used to repeat the phrase and give it thought, I just recently started applying it to my life. A couple months ago I started giving a lot of thought as to what I wanted to do for a living. I also thought of how tired I was of school and the copious amounts of homework that I am regularly assigned. I have never thought about dropping out, nor would I ever; it’s just that I’ve been going to school for 10 years and I want something new. I want to do something that I like to do, something that intrigues me and maybe even bring in some finances. So while all these thoughts encircled my head, I began to look at all of them negatively. The fact that I’m not out of school, I don’t have a full time job and that I have a bunch of homework.

That’s when I remembered my grandmothers saying, “Life’s what you make it” I thought, “Wait a minute, it could be worse. I could have more home work and this bad day will pass…eventually.” I began thinking positive, making my life better, and above all being thankful for what I do have instead of focusing on the things I don’t. And, believe me, that saying is much easier said then done! I struggled with it for awhile, but finally I realized that I could really make my life enjoyable no matter how overwhelmed I felt.

I applied it to every challenge that faced me, an argument with my parents, a hard day of running cross country, decision making and overall bad days. Eventually I came to the realization that nothing could upset me without my consent. I had to deliberately let something that went wrong screw up my whole day.

However, there are some misfortunes say, the death of a loved one, which can take a lot of time to overcome. That’s where our individuality comes into play, if you dwell on the depressive aspects and not so much on the good memories, well, yes things will get worse. On the other hand, if you choose to look at the positives, I believe you will attract positive happenings.

In conclusion, make life what you want it to be, have faith, trust and courage. Let life give you good things, not bad things. I believe that if you look at the things you and only you want and focus on them, completely ignoring all the negatives you can make life what you want it to be. This I believe.