Kendall - Norfolk, Virginia

I believe that no one should allow anyone or anything the ability to dictate to their personality. I believe that no one should allow anything to have such a prominent influence on their lives that they defer from their own personality. However, society can not be solely responsible for degradation of personality because it is also a result of our personal doubt.

In today’s society, many people allow countless individuals and advertisements to determine what is cool or what is considered “in.” When people see such actions that are being directed toward them, then they tend to alter or sway away from their original belief. I remember when I first encountered this type of influence and almost changed my outlook on a situation based upon the opinion of someone else.

I experienced this typical personality change my freshmen year in high school. My friends and I, while progressing through middle school were always known as those who were different. However, as we all entered the 8th grade, it all became a thing of the past. Most of my friends began seeing what the upperclassmen’s demeanor presented grew fond of it. Before long three of my closest friend either purchased tattoos or received ear piercing. These actions were something that we had all figured were not something that we wanted. Although, these were actions were something that we were suddenly presented before. So it was just a matter of time before we all developed the mentality to adapt.

The few friends who decided to adapt immediately, constantly attempted to alter the beliefs of me and another. Throughout the first few years in high school, we came across attempts, whether presented by my friends or others, to change our perspectives. Soon, after the realization that we were not going to follow the trends of other set in, the attempts ceased.

This is one of the many ways that society tries to alter everyone’s personality. We also add to the progression of these alterations. However, our contribution is due to society’s role in the destruction of individualism. The way that we play a major role in this process is simply that we do not strive to make an effort to personalize ourselves. While society presents us with the many advertisements, we do not do it any justice by accepting them. Instead of finding alternate ways or means of personalization we allow society to corrupt our true desires. We all may all possess qualities that could possibly develop into a unique identity, but because of the preset standards of society we all disregard them. Thus, we are contributors to the destruction of individualism.

If we all try to make an effort or attempt to the preservation of personality, than we will begin to experience an identity explosion. The world would encounter thousands, if not millions, of previously undiscovered identities. So I believe that we all should strive to make our personal identity a thing of reality.