Charles - Reno, Nevada
Themes: work

5280 Feet

I believe that you have to go the extra mile to get the best out of life. I believe that you get out of life what you put into it. It may sound cliché, but it is true. When I do more fulfilling things in a day, a week, a year, I feel better. My end result might not be perfect, but most of the time I feel good about doing more.

I am a hunter. My dad hunts, my grandpa hunted, and I hunt. I had my first tag recently and I was hoping to fill it. I went out with my dad, and a good family friend of ours, my uncle Ken. We got to our area around oneish and went out hunting. Now when I say hunting I mean hiking up into the mountains. We were looking for areas other hunters hadn’t been to in a while and the right characteristics that deer like. We went up and down these mountains, into canyons and valleys, and over saddles into other mountain ranges. These mountains were steep and covered with sage brush and rabbit brush. It was hard going and it took a long time. Not fun, but it was what I thought we had to do to get that big buck. We did this for four days and we saw NO deer! The only time we saw deer was when we were driving in our truck. These were only does’ and small bucks, not what we wanted. I was not happy. We had hiked all those days for what felt like nothing.

As I lay in my bed the night we got back to civilization I wondered about all our hiking. I wondered why we had to do it and what the point of it all was. We saw no deer and we just wasted a lot of time. Then it hit me…we had been the only ones hiking all this way. We were going into these far places when everyone else was just sticking to the roads. We were literally going the extra mile into the mountains. I didn’t get a deer, but where we had been there could have been a monster buck.

I’m not going to say that I have had this belief for a long time, because I haven’t. I’m not going to preach that everyone should do extra, because some people just don’t want to. I have found that you just get more fulfillments out of doing the extra work. And sometimes it pays off. Like doing the extra credit problem on a test. If you get it wrong it is no big deal, if you get it right then that is a bonus. Sometimes it can be easy sometimes it can be hard, it just depends on how much you want it. And how many of those extra 5280 feet you want to take.