Vanessa - Warrenton, Virginia

I believe that people should adopt children if they have the means to do so. Millions of children are orphaned each year through no fault of their own. Some are born to mothers who don’t have the means to support them, which is common, so they are forced to give them up. Others are orphaned when their parents or guardians pass away. The most tragic of all these, though they are all tragic situations, is the situation where the children are taken away from their parents because their parents have been abusing them physically or mentally, or do not have the means to take care of them anymore. These abandoned children are then left to go to orphanages and live a life by themselves with no family to speak of. A child needs love, care, and guidelines to develop properly. In an orphanage children do not get the same kind of care as they would receive in a family unit. Often children in orphanages are forced to begin working early, sometimes as early as the age of twelve years old. They have their childhood stolen from them at an early age through no fault of their own.

Throughout their lives, my grandparents have adopted and helped to raise thirty five children, not to mention the three children of their own. Their house at Christmas time is a sight to see. There are always at least 20 or 30 people packed into their tiny house on Christmas Eve. You have to race to get a chair at the table. I don’t know how my grandma possibly makes enough food for everyone, but there are always leftovers. It’s never quiet; it’s almost like we don’t even know what a dull moment is. Between all the people, all the noise, and the lack of space in the house you would think that people would get irritable and cranky. The thing is, that never happens, there are so many people that are there for one purpose, to show my grandparents that they love them and are grateful to them for giving them a home and also to express that they love everyone in the family. The warmth and spirit in the house is unbelievable, it’s something you have to experience to understand. Nearly all of the children that they helped to raise come back to visit them on a regular basis and consider them to be their parents even if they actually aren’t. I believe this is because my grandparents did a very good job of loving and helping every child that came into their house.

Many families have the means to support orphan children, yet they choose not to. There are millions of children in the world that grow up without a home and no one seems to care. People are too busy living their happy, comfortable little lives to open up their eyes and notice that there are children in need. Certainly if my grandparents, who were considered poor, could support and help to bring up 38 children in less than fifty years of their lives, then the families who live comfortably and only bring up one or two of their own children can do their part and adopt a child in need. If you have the means to adequately support a child you should adopt, whether it is one child or 30, every child counts. All you have to do is look into the eyes of a child in need to see their pain, if you give them a home you can take away that pain. The child will be eternally grateful.