Margaret - Richmond, Virginia

Growing up I always idolized Jessica Beck. She was a sibling on my brother’s baseball team and was five years older than me. I never saw her without a bright, white smile on her face. She was high on life and always wanted to help anyone and everyone. Jessica was a beautiful redheaded young woman. Instead of playing a typical sport like soccer or basketball, she synchronized swam. She excelled so greatly in this complicated sport, she was able to achieve a full scholarship to Ohio State University to be apart of their team.

Years ago, during baseball vacations, Jessica always included the younger siblings of all of the baseball players even though she had friends of her own at the games. Despite the five-year gap between our ages, she always paid attention to what I had to say, included me in conversations, and sometimes took me out to dinner with her friends. Jessica continuously made me happy by just smiling, joking, or simply hanging out with me.

Unfortunately, Jessica Beck died on September 14, 2005, due to heart related problems. Her death was completely unexpected. Everyone that knew Jessica was crushed and had no idea why this happened to such a great person. In her obituary guest book, one of her close friends wrote, “Jessica is always loved, never forgotten and truly divine.” I love this quote because it is one hundred percent true. This beautiful person made an extreme impact on many lives.

After many days and nights of mourning and grieving, I decided to make a change in my life. I wanted to be just like Jessica and have the same impact on people’s lives as she did on mine. I now believe in living life to the fullest each and every day because I never know when it could end. Everyday I try my best to make a meaningful impression on other people’s life by sharing jokes, making sarcastic remarks, or just simply being silly. Ultimately, I enjoy making people smile and laugh. Living life to its fullest is very important to me because life is a gift that shouldn’t be taken for granted. I feel my idol, Jessica Beck, would be proud of the way I changed my life to benefit others just as she did. I love knowing that Jessica would be extremely proud of what I have become.

I have become Maggie G– a funny, optimistic, and intelligent woman. I have respect for life and myself in general. Jessica Beck has influenced me to live my life to the fullest and cherish each and every day. I have every intention of fulfilling that goal by making others feel the way that she made me feel.