I Believe in the Children and That They Can Be Our Future

Jasmine - Norfolk, Virginia
Themes: children

Growing up I never understood why my grandmother use to always say, “Our children are the future.” It sounded so spiritual or futuristic; I didn’t really grasp her concept. Our educational system had progressed tremendously in the 1990s, and the quote, “The children are our future,” had meaning to me, finally. There was a movement known as EFA (Education for All), and in 1990 they hosted a World Conference that changed many lives. Since then, governments, civil society, bilateral and multilateral donor agencies and the media have taken up the cause of providing basic education is vital to the dream of our children becoming our future. They won’t be able to accomplish the duties and tasks that are required without the proper education.

I believe in the children, and one day they will become the future, with our help. It’s our job to make this a reality: they won’t believe it until we do. So many people give up on them because they only look at today, but if they would just persevere and look past today, they would see what tomorrow holds. Telling children that they are our future could be a heavy burden on their shoulders, so it’s up to us to guide them as much as possible until they feel comfortable as the future. Its one thing to state a solution, but it’s another to put action behind your statement.

Technology in schools is a great asset for the children of our future. There are now opportunities for children to enhance their abilities in becoming the future such as going to an all technology school. There is a school in Philadelphia, PA called, High-Tech High. This school is Microsoft equipped and everything is technical. There is an opportunity right here in Virginia for our children to advance. This facility is a 137,000 square-feet, $22.5 million-dollar Advanced Technology Center, located on the Virginia Beach campus of Tidewater Community College (TCC); it has been developed through a special partnership involving the Commonwealth of Virginia through TCC, the Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS), and the City of Virginia Beach. I believe that every child should have an opportunity to attend these schools, and more schools should be more technical developed.