Shed No Tear in Fear

Marcus - Norfolk, Virginia
Themes: fear

I believe until you conquer your fears, you will never experience your life to its full extent. When I was little I never left my mother’s side. You could say that I was petrified of people. When people told me how cute I was I would look away, when people tried to pick me up or even touch me I would actually cry until they left. This continued on into Kindergarten, at least once every week, when my mom dropped me off I couldn’t hold back my tears and cried in front of the entire class. I don’t know why but when I was little I hated being alone in a room of people I didn’t know. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to live my life being in fear all the time.

I got over my fear of strangers by actually talking. Until I actually talked to people I didn’t realize how charismatic I really was. A person lives in fear partially because of bad experiences or because they just never experienced it. I was a fearful child, but after I grew up I actually loved conquering my fears, when I actually understood what those fears were.

I’ve hurt myself countless times trying to reach my goal of eliminating them. And I guess it’s safe to say that I have conquered the fear of getting hurt. I’ve broken my arms three times, broken my ankle, multiple stitches, and other times I’ve done minor injuries to my body. Every time I break something I still get that burning feeling in my bones and then the pain hits, but it happen so many times that I’m no longer scared of it. Like Roosevelt’s inauguration speech “We have nothing to fear except fear itself.” Roosevelt knows that when people fear anything it will tear them apart, it will actually restrict them from their dreams and goals.

But one fear seems like it is tough to shake isn’t the fear of death, but the death of a loved one. I don’t know anybody that will be able to shake that one; I know I can’t. When my friend got shot that I’ve known since middle school, it was tough to cope with. And when that casket closes you get a deep empty feeling, because you know that that person is gone for good. I fear that empty feeling so much because it’s impossible to beat it but you got to deal with it. But if you give into your fears nothing good will come from it. Now I love talking to people I actually find myself talking to random people just to hear their stories. I know I was unhappy when I was little because all I did was be scared all the time. To live your life to the full extent you got to be happy and one of the best ways for me to stay happy is to conquer my fears.