Travis - malone, New York
Themes: afterlife, fear

Have you ever watched those television shows where the people walk into the haunted house looking for a ghost and come back out drenched in fear? I used to think those shows were fake, along with the pictures and sounds they claim to have took. I used to not believe in any kind of unseen forces, at least none that could interact with the living world. But now I see things differently.

Ghosts used to be a myth to me. Kind of like the fountain of youth or the Garden of Eden. The possibility of these things existing was there but somewhere off in the unseen, unthought-of distance. Then, one night, I saw something that will forever haunt my dreams and always be recalled when I lay my head to sleep.

One night, about 3 years ago, I woke up from my sleep. When I sat up I looked over at the stairs that were roughly 20 feet from the foot of my bed headed downward, and saw on the very top step a small boy staring down the steps. He had blonde hair, red eyes and everything from the waste down was unseen. I inhaled and breath to holler for help, and the breath seemed to take an eternity to breathe. As I began to holler, the child looked at me and started at me. I closed my eyes as he flew at me and imagined I would momentarily feel him jump inside me and take over my body, but he didn’t. when I opened my eyes he was gone and my mother was sitting at the edge of my bed asking what happened.

That night a new fear took over my nights and even the hours leading up to them. As the sun sinks deeper and deeper into the horizon, my heart beats faster and faster in anxiety of the darkness and what it may hold that night. I do not believe that all supernatural forces are evil but I do know that the eyes of this child were not of an angel. I am sure that some think me to be insane. Maybe some think that I was merely half asleep when I saw this. But I know that what I saw was real, and I know that it knew that I was aware of its presence. I believe with everything in me that ghosts are real and can interact with the world that we see, touch, hear, and interact with every day.