Erica - Malone, New York

Has something ever occurred in your life where you thought it happened for a reason? A few years ago, my grandpa was killed in a plane crash. When I first found out I thought how could this ever happen to him. Everyone was devastated by this tragic loss because he was so well-known. It was about a year later that I found out I had a little brother on the way. The second I found out it was a boy I knew it meant something. My brother’s birth would signify the death of my grandpa. That’s when I realized things happen for a reason.

I remember the day as if it were yesterday. I came home from school, it was September 17, 2001 and a beautiful day out. It was an ordinary day for me until I received a phone call. It was my dad calling to tell me that my grandpa had just died. I would have never thought anything was going to ruin my day, until this. I was so shocked I didn’t know how to handle this or what to say. This was my first experience losing someone so close to me. During the first few days I went through many emotions. At first I was mad at God for taking him so young. I also felt sad that he left but I was happy that he died doing something he loved, which was flying planes. That was his newly found passion and I don’t think he would have wanted to die any other way. Later on I felt frustrated with myself because the last time I saw him I never said good-bye and gave him a hug like I always did.

When I found out my brother was on the way I was so happy! The first day I saw him at the hospital was very emotional because I thought my grandpa would have been very proud. As I was holding my brother in my arms, the first thing I said to him was “Hi”, since I never got to say good-bye to my grandpa. As time went by and my brother grew older, I could see the same qualities in him that my grandpa had. The thing I loved most about my grandpa was his smile. He had a unique smile and looked at the good when it was bad. This smile is the same as my brother’s. When I see him smile I see my grandpa.

We have a picture of my grandpa hanging on the wall and my brother always asks who it is. Since he is only 2 years old he is still learning how to talk, but after we told him it was “papa”, he now looks at the picture and says his name. When my dad is out in the garage welding a part or fixing a bike, my brother follows and mimics his every move. It is unbelievable how much my brother is like my grandpa.

I believe the birth of my brother happened because of my grandpa’s death. It’s like God saw how much my family was suffering and brought the birth of a person just like my grandpa into our lives. It’s funny how sometimes things turn out bed but in the end get better. That’s why I believe things happen for a reason.