Lost Values

Chad - Norfolk, Virginia
Themes: love, morality

I believe love isn’t as valued today as it used to be. With society the way it is, most males mainly think about sex. From what I witness, relationships aren’t considered much, just one-night stands. At times, I just sit back and listen to people talk about what they want to do with a girl, than just expect to move on to the next victim. As I hear this, I ask myself: How do you just play with a girl’s emotions, not knowing her feelings? What happened to searching for a person to be with, as opposed to wanting someone for physical purposes only?

From personal experience, I’ve learned having your mind set on sex can ruin a relationship. Before my ex-girlfriend and I took our relationship to the next level, the relationship was great. There was no pressure so the relationship was stress free. As soon as we engaged in it, the stress of being pressured into it came into effect, and that was what ultimately ruined the relationship. Her not wanting it all of the time caused me to get frustrated with her, which made her to feel bad and decide to just make me happy. I failed to consider her feelings and only thought of mine. I made her feel like she was only wanted for the physical, but that wasn’t the case. Nevertheless, that’s how it came off.

This incident is exactly what’s happening in college. All I see is a girl with feelings for a boy whose only goal is to get her in bed. And after that happens, he dumps her and goes onto the next one. Experiencing that personally, I know how a girl can feel, and men like that give others a bad name. When a man with right intentions approaches a woman, because of the jerks before him, he isn’t given the time of day. Women now think all men are out looking for sex when that isn’t the case. Though they are hard to find, respectable men are out in the world.

I wish love could be revived back to where it’s well-respected. I feel that love right now is being taken for granted. There are people who need to realize that love is a precious thing and can be great in your life. The value of love has gone done as the search for it has done the same. Hardly anyone I know is talking to a girl because they like them and want to pursue a relationship with them. That idea is nowhere in their mind, and when that idea is brought up, they laugh at it saying: “This is college. Nobody wants to be tied down.” Even though they’re my friends, I don’t like their perspective of the other sex. I was taught to respect women and care about how they feel. That has still stuck with me today, and I hope men, as well as women, consider a person’s feelings before acting on what they want.