Zac - Reno, Nevada
Themes: courage, setbacks

If you take a look at all the amazing things that have been done throughout the history of man they all seem to have one thing in common. Perseverance and hard work. Look at all the ancient structures like the pyramids of Egypt, or the Great Wall of China. Yes they may have been done due to the help of slave labor, but they all work hard and persevered through and got it done. I believe that the will of man through hard work can lead to all possibilities.

I live in Washoe Valley which is a very small town between Reno and Carson City. In this small town there is little to do if you don’t either ride a horse or a dirt bike/quad. I chose the horse. My very first experience with a horse outside of my own property was with a kid and his dad who taught me how to ride. He decided to take me up in the hills by my house. I had just learned how to put a saddle on myself and I didn’t tighten the synch (leather strap that goes under the horse’s stomach that holds the saddle tight) enough. Well when it is not tight enough the saddle tends to lean one way or the other. Well, mine leaned so much that I was practically side ways on the horse. Rex (my trainer) told me don’t get off. Just sit there. I was jittery and I heard, just get off. I swung my leg over the saddle and BAM! I hit the ground, all I could see was a bush and two horses spinning wildly around me.

I may be told that that this is too cliché, but when you fall off you get back on. The very next week I was riding again and my horse, Rio, reared up, due to a spook at my hat, and I went tumblin’ off the back. But, I got back on. That was many years ago, and due to the hard work over the years I can not only control my horse, but I get along with it. For instance when I first started riding she couldn’t even stay in a steady circle around an arena, always jumping at different things and acting stupid (cowboy for jittery). Now she knows that I mean business and that she can’t do what she wants.

That is a small, seemingly non-relevant event but it can be applied to all aspects of life whether it’s a job at Burger King or building the next great sky-scraper. Work hard and learn from failures, and that will equate to success in any field of your life. With these small skills you may accomplish great feats. By taking small steps by man you can make a leap for man kind.