Shannon - Virginia Beach, Virginia

Most people in the world have a family but do not always appreciate the people in their family. I believe that my family is the most important part of my life because they support me and are there for me through everything. My family has been through many ups and downs, but no matter what the situation is, we are always there by one another’s side. I love my family very much and would do anything for each and every one of them. My family is not the typical family type. My mom and dad were divorced by the time I was three years old. My mom remarried when I was five to a man by the name of Mike. As my step-father, he gives me as much love and attention as my real father does. My dad remarried around that time to a lady by the name of Lori. When I was in sixth grade, my dad and Lori got a divorce, but I still remain close to her as if she was still my step-mother. I have an older sister, Macie, and a younger brother, Scott. I would definitely call my sister my very best friend. Although I argue with my younger brother, we are always there for each other if something happens. My parents continue to get along even if they do not always agree. As odd as this may be, my mom and my dad’s ex-wife actually became best friends. Being a family is not about just having the same last name. It’s about the love and support between the people with or without the same name. I can always count on my family to support me in whatever decisions that I make. They never let me down and my parents have always been there to provide me with whatever I need and want. Whenever I need advice about friends or just everyday situations in my life, I know I can go to my parents or siblings to help guide me into the right direction. When I stress out from essays or tests at school or from waiting on rude customers at my job, my family always comforts me to make me feel better. My family and I spend a lot of quality time together going out to dinner, going to a movie, or simply hanging out around the house. During the hard times, we always come together for support. My grandfather has been extremely ill lately and we have gone up to Richmond to visit him many times. Even if my family was arguing, we put the situation aside to support my grandfather. When something tragic happens to one of our family members, we end up forgetting our problems and all pull together to make it through. There are so many different kinds of families out there in the world today. I believe that people need to learn to appreciate their own family and spend as much time with them as they possibly can. Friends, boyfriends, and girlfriends can be temporary, but I know that my family is there forever. The people in my family may not always get along, but when it comes to it, we would do anything to make each other happy. My family is everything to me and I would be lost without them.