maghan - North Bangor, New York

The topic of abortion is a heavily debated one. Many people are pro choice and many others are pro life. It has turned into a pro choice vs. pro life controversy. As of right now abortion is legal. There are many parties, however, working to illegalize this right. I believe the right of abortion should be illegalized.

Many people use the right of pro choice to their advantage. They take chances with their actions and never think about the consequences that come along with them. If they could just come up with a little bit of money they could take care of everything. Not only will they never have to take responsibility for their own actions, they are also learning that it is okay to kill. The number of abortions per year world wide is approximately 46 million. The number per year in the United States is 1.37 million, and per day in the US it is 3,700. Over 3000 murders take place legally in the US every day. Only 18,000 illegal murders took place in 1997. It is not okay to kill, and abortion is killing. Abortion is even worse than a homicide because they are innocent help less beings that you are killing. It is not the fetus’s fault that they exist, so why should we be able to take it out on them.

One day I was at the mall in Albany with my mom and a bunch of our friends. We were getting ready to go walk in the doors, there were a bunch a guys standing outside talking. We were waiting for a couple of girls to meet us at the doors. I over heard the conversation they were having. One of them was talking about his girlfriend. One of the others said “Hey I thought that she was pregnant?” He replied by saying “Yeah, but she got that taken care of.” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was like he was talking about taking the garbage out or something. If you can’t deal with having a child than you can’t deal with making on either. People need to learn to step up and take responsibility instead of running away from it. I do believe it should be available to rape victims. Only to the victims who have a convicted attacker. But other wise it should not be available to the immature, irresponsible individual who would be so cruel to do it in the first place.