Hard Work

Benjamin - Gilbert, Iowa
Themes: work

I believe in hard work. I believe that no matter what the situation, hard work will always overcome it. I have seen hard work prevail in others and I have seen it prevail in myself. Some of the most important components to hard work are perseverance, dedication, determination, and sacrifice.

Ever since I was a little kid I would dream of playing football in college. I vowed to myself that I would work hard and get there some day. And on May 9th, 2007 my life changed forever, I received a full scholarship to play football at the division 1 level! My dream came true and all the hard work finally paid off. All of those late nights running sprints until I could hardly walk back home, and early mornings lifting weights until complete exhaustion to where I couldn’t even pick up my gym bag afterwards. All of the sacrifices I made were well worth it when I finally go that scholarship. I was never the fastest or the strongest, but I am always determined to be the fastest and the strongest and that is what got me to where I wanted to be.

I have seen hard work prevail in others as well. There are millions of inspirational stories of people defying odds and overcoming situations where others would just quit and say, “that is impossible”. One story that comes to mind would be my dad’s story. My dad is one of the hardest workers I have ever known. It took my dad 13 years to graduate from college. He had no financial aid or help from his family to pay for college. It took perseverance for him to get his degree doing the paper route in the mornings, working and going to class during the day, and studying and giving his two kids attention at night. He made a lot of sacrifices during that time, but he was determined to get a degree and become a civil engineer so he could provide for his family.

I believe the main component to success is hard work. No matter what obstacle you have to overcome in life, it has been proven time and time again throughout history that hard work will always prevail.