Brittany - Gilbert, Iowa

What Friends are For

I believe in the power of friendship. There’s no better feeling than having a person there to listen to every problem, to be there for you anytime, anywhere. I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have my best friend to talk to.

I tell her everything. If I’m ever going through a rough time, she’s there no matter what. I can always depend on her. I’ll give you an example. Recently, I had been feeling stressed about school. I had been accepted to Iowa State University, and everything happened at once. First, I had to accept the offer, then pay a fee I had no idea about, I have to figure out where I’m going to live, what classes to take, when orientation is, and finally, how I’m going to pay for everything. I was on the verge of a breakdown, when she came to my house and talked me through it. She’s helped me through many things, and I’ve been there for her as well.

I can’t say exactly what has happened, just to respect her privacy, but I can think of many times she’s called me crying in the middle of the night. I would jump in my car the second I hung up and I would speed over to wherever she was. I’ve covered up for her, I’ve provided food and shelter to her, and I know she would do the same for me.

We have been through some positive times as well. I think it’s bad to only remember people by the negative things that have happened. We’ve celebrated victories, wasted endless amounts of time together just for fun, and watched each other grow up. We’ve laughed until we cried, played video games until three in the morning, and ridiculed her parents together. There have been at least 100 times that one of us got hurt, and we’d both laugh hysterically. One time we were jumping on her trampoline, and she bounced me higher than she ever has. I landed on the edge of the mat, next to the springs and went flying off the trampoline. I landed head first on the ground from 30 feet in the air. The first thing I did after I realized I was still alive was laugh until my face was sore. That was one of many good times.

We have a strong bond. Our personalities are so similar it’s scary. She pushes me to be a better person, and I am thankful to her every day for that. It’s almost like we can read each other’s minds. Our friendship is a powerful thing.