“Winning Is a Way of Life”

Jacob - Gilbert, Iowa

I believe winning is a way of life; to win is to beat your opponent in anything no matter what the competition is. Winning is always going to be the big picture in any competition. The most important aspects of winning are hard work, and the three D’s: Determination, Dedication, and Desire.

Throughout my life in anything whether it is P.E., sporting events, or just a class activity, everyone always stresses winning and to me that is my goal. Some kids still to this day say, “why does he try so hard in P.E?” Well, it’s because I am so competitive; I love to win.

“Winning is a Way of Life” also brings to mind another quote that was once said by Vince Lombardi, “ Winning is not a sometime thing, it’s an all the time thing.” In this quote by Vince Lombardi, he is saying that in order to win you can’t just expect it, you must do everything in your will to win whether it be in the sport or out, meaning you must train your body to the fullest while you’re not in practice, go to bed on time, eat right, and do anything it takes.

Through the years in high school everyone knows that I am very competitive and I will do anything it takes to win. Winning to me is everything, whether it be winning a spot on the playing field or taking another person’s spot on the field. If I am not playing, I will do anything it takes to get out there and get some playing time. For instance this year in football, I kept on saying throughout the year that I would be better off playing offensive tackle; no one ever listened to me until the last 2 games of the season. When I finally won my spot as the starting offensive tackle, I played very well and that’s because I love to compete at high levels.

When you’re so competitive, it gets you to places you never thought you would be, like the starting offensive tackle for your High School Football Team.