Makenzie - Ames, Iowa
Themes: equality, work

Imbalanced Lives

Whenever I couldn’t get something my way, my family, teachers, and friends would tell me life isn’t fair. Everyone is born into a unique family and some are more fortunate than others. It’s not like each unborn child gets to pick who he or she joins. In my case, I am blessed with a wonderful family that happens to be financially stable. On the other hand, my boyfriend, Tony, was born into a family of eight children and only one parent has a full time job. We’re both good people so why do I deserve any better than he does? I don’t; I just believe life isn’t fair.

Ever since I can remember, I’ve always been negative about school, never wanting to be there or pay attention, but I had to. I remember watching movies and reading books about unfortunate kids who wanted to go to school like everyone else. Well, Tony is one of those kids and it has made me appreciate the fact that I am given the chance to learn and grow. I have so many opportunities for my future, including college. I probably won’t have to spend very much money on college considering my family has a savings account built up for me. Tony won’t be able to slide into college like me, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a chance. In order for him to go, he would have to work extra hard to create the funds in a few years that my parents have built up over my entire life.

I have so much respect for Tony because he’s only eighteen and he already lives on his own; paying off his car loan, phone bill, rent, and insurance. Not to mention he has to buy groceries, clothes, and other desires. He can’t call up his mom or dad and ask for help considering they just moved back to Indiana. For him to afford anything, he has to work full time at his landscaping job. Me, I just work part time at Jimmy Johns for some pocket money and gas.

Tony and I both have positive personalities and we live life to the fullest. It’s so hard to be his best friend/girlfriend and not be able to help him every time he needs it. I think seeing what Tony has to go through every day, struggling to save as much as he can, has opened my eyes to the real world: that life isn’t fair. People don’t always get what they deserve and some people get more. I’m lucky enough to stand in the middle of that spectrum; having a loving family with every necessity I need, but not too much so that I’m greedy. I love my life the way it is, especially with Tony in it. We sort of balanced each other’s lives out from the beginning and we both believe and understand what it means for life to be unfair.