Kendra - Ames, Iowa
Themes: change

Trying New Things

I believe in trying new things. I believe in doing something that is totally unexpected and random.

Although routines can be very helpful to certain people and give us a certain aspect of control in our lives, on occasion the best events that happen to us are unexpected, shocking. They throw us out of our comfort zone and force us to become who we truly are, and let us show our true colors. How will we really act when something that is new and different comes up? New and different things will be happening to us for the rest of our lives, a person would have a hard time trying to avoid that. I believe that being spontaneous is great, because you never know what will happen, just like in a good movie; you think you have the ending all figured out and then it turns out like nothing that you expected at all. It makes it all so much more interesting.

Although sometimes, the unexpected can be bad, a sudden death, a natural disaster, or a bad accident. That would be a case in which a surprise can leave you feeling lonely and confused.

Someone once said, “Expect the unexpected.” I couldn’t agree more with this statement. It is so true; just take a look around. Of course you may be shocked to find out something truly amazing and wonderful happened to you that you thought would never happen, or an event in which you thought that something would happen, never occurred and your dreams were crushed, but there is always hope.

One example of when spontenenuity proved to be amazing was when I was traveling with my parents last year in Austria. The trip was great, and it wasn’t until we landed in the airport in Paris that I realized just how crazy and fun life could be. My parents surprised me and told me that we would be spending the night in Paris. I was so happy, I had always wanted to go to Paris and even if it was just for one day. I was very grateful.

Now, I am not saying that when I get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere that I am overjoyed because something unexpected happened, but I do like a change of scenery every now and then.

Being spontaneous always leaves you guessing what will happen next and I love that.