A Constant Companion

Brandi - Ames, Iowa

Have you ever punched a pillow in anger? Been so upset that you took out your aggression on it? I have. Ever looked for comfort from that same pillow? That pillow you were punching you now look to for reassurance. Ever cried on a pillow, alone in your room when you did not want anyone else to know? I have many times and will continue to do so I’m sure. That pillow you once punched, and then depended on for comfort, you now cry on in confidentiality. Pillows are non-judgmental, they are never too busy to deal with your problems, pillows are never not there and pillows do not care what time of the day it is. I believe that a pillow is unconditional: soft when you need comfort, firm when you need healing, allowing you to figure life out on your own: but there when you need something to lean on. I believe in pillows.

I have been told for as long as I can remember to punch a pillow when I am upset, to take my anger out in a healthy way. My pillow has suffered blow after blow after blow. When I was frustrated and I felt like I was not being heard, or just upset because things never seemed to go my way, my pillow took the punishment I enforced upon it. My pillow has gotten a lot of use, but I know that my pillow would always be there and I have assurance in knowing it will always be there for that reason and anything else I need.

When I spent my first night alone in my very empty apartment, I needed the comfort of my pillow. I was strong and independent, a secure woman, but still needed that snugness, that warmth that it had always given me. The pipes creaked and the doors screamed. Darkness set in. I was alone. It granted me the comfort I was missing, set me at ease; I knew everything would be ok. My pillow rendered me the strength to fight the insecurities I faced on my first night at my new apartment. As I snuggled to sleep, I knew that I would not have been able to do this without the gratification of my constant companion. It has helped me in situations like this throughout my entire life.

I believe there is a pillow for everyone. Pillows come in an abundance of sizes and colors. Pillows come in different personalities. Every person should have a pillow, a pillow that reflects their different character. I believe that everyone should have that comfort, the ease, the relaxation a pillow has for each person. I believe that a pillow can reflect these things. I believe in pillows.