DawnMarie - Malone, New York
Themes: death, family, love

DawnMarie Sugg Per: 6th

English This I believe essay 11/19/07

Have you ever lost a loved one? If you have then you’d realize the true importance of family, because you’ll never know when you are going to lose someone important to you.

I lost my grandmother when I was fourteen years old to cancer. I remember walking up to her casket to say my goodbyes to her at her funeral and stopping and realizing that I would never see her again. Once I tried to continue my walk to her and finally say my goodbyes, I realized my feet would not move. The only direction they wanted to go was outside, slowly I turned ready to run when I felt a gentle touch on my shoulder, and a whisper saying, “It’s going to be alright.” The whisper came from my father who took me outside.

There at my grandmother’s funeral I truly believed in the real importance of family. I believe in the true importance of family because, I realized I would never see my grandmother again. Although three years has passed since my grandmother’s death the importance of my grandmother grows stronger because, I remember all the amazing things she taught me. I remember her teaching me how to mountain bike, rock climb, and all the hiking trips she took me on. Now when I do these things that she has taught me it reminds me of her and how truly important she is to me.

Although I miss her terribly and think it was unfair how she passed away and how she was so young, the true importance of her stays with me, and reminds me of the true importance of family, because you never know when you are going to lose an important family member to you. This experience of losing my grandmother has also taught me the true importance of one’s family will only grow stronger throughout the years, because you will lose and gain important family members, and you will realize the true importance of each; as old and new family members go and come.